Friday, July 10, 2009

Recipe for Homemade Laundry Detergent

1/3 bar Fels Naptha or Zote soap (I use 1/2 bar Zote cause I have dirty work clothes) Grated
1/2 cup Borax Powder
1/2 cup Arm and Hammer Washing Soda ( NOT BAKING SODA)
A bucket (I use a 5 gal. bucket)
Water

Put grated soap in sauce pan with 6 cups water, heat till soap melts.
Add washing soda and borax stirring until dissolved.
Pour 4 cups hot tap water into the bucket. Add soap mixture and stir.
Add another 22 cups water to the bucket, stir to combine.
Let set 12-24 hours.
It will jell up (some of it will) it will dissolve in the wash so there is no need to stir when using.The jell and liquid are the same, so no worries.
Use 1/2 cup per load.
Let me know what you think. You can also add essential oils if you want to have it scented.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I think I’m going to try and make some this weekend. I'm going to ask nana if she already has any of the ingredients, if she doesn't where is the cheapest place to get them?

Easter said...

You can get the soap at Save More on Patton Ave. in Asheville.
The rest you can get from Ingle's. They aren't expensive at all. Let me know how it goes for you.