Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Canning Squash For Frying

Our squash is coming in in leaps and bounds. We have eaten some fresh from the garden and shared some with friends and family. Now I am getting to can some for breading and frying this winter. It is so good to open a can of squash in the dead of winter and fry them up for supper.
Here's how to do it:
Wash and remove bad spots, if you have any, ours were perfect right off the vine.
Cut into 1/4 inch rings and pack in jars. I will use a butter knife to "guide" some of them into the place I want them to be so I can get more in. Add 1 tsp salt (1/2 tsp salt for pints)










In a medium size sauce pan, combine:
4-4 1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 cup Sugar
(This will be enough for 3 quarts or 6 pints)
Bring to a boil and pour into jars. I run the butter knife around the inside, carefully, to get the air bubbles out.










Clean the rims of the jars, seal and hot bath for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes set out and wait for the wonderful sound of it sealing.










When you're ready to cook, rinse 3-4 times bread and fry as normal. I will fry one layer at a time and they are awesome good. Takes a while, but worth it. I will be canning more as they come out of the garden.






16 comments:

Mimmie said...

I have been having a ton of squash that come in at the same time, I have been giving it away by the sack full, so now I will try this just to see if we like it like this, because we like it breaded & fried, I have been freezing it but tends to get flimsy..

Anonymous said...

Can you leave the sugar out? I am diabetic.

Unknown said...

I can green tomatoes and just put water in them and I fry them up in the winter.
I think I will try this with zucchini and squash. Thanks for the ideal.

Unknown said...

I've read and been told that you cannot can squash this way. That they have to be pressured. Not they are saying that they only safe way to save the squash, is to freeze them. How long have you been canning them in the water bath? I have 5 pints that I put up earlier, I hate to just pour them out. Thks

Unknown said...

Is this blog still active? I didn't see posted since 2009?

Unknown said...

Sheila, I wouldn't take the chance of the water bath canning, even with the added vinegar. I always pressure can mine.

Unknown said...

Because of the vinegar in the recipe you can water bathe them. It has all to do with acid content.

Unknown said...

Because of the vinegar in the recipe you can water bathe them. It has all to do with acid content.

Unknown said...

Because of the vinegar in the recipe you can water bathe them. It has all to do with acid content.

Unknown said...

I'm trying this with squash for the first time today. I've canned okra for frying using this method,except the okra was brought to a boil with the liquid. Hope this turns out as well as the okra.

Delores said...

Can white vinegar be used instead of the apple cider vinegar?

Georgee said...

Test the acid content of your brine with oh strips you can buy. That will insure your acid content is high enough to water bath. Same concept as pickles that are water bathed or tomatoes or fruit.

Georgee said...

Ph strips - auto correct is a pain.

Unknown said...

Do I use any salt

Sunshine said...

How do you can with just water? How does it come out when ready to use, are they firm?

Cindy said...

There is not enough vinegar in this recipe to make it acidic enough to be safe for water bath processing. If you like playing Russian Roulette, go ahead.