Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cook once eat twice or more

I am getting into cooking once and making enough for two meals putting one in the freezer.
Here is the way I plan on doing it.

Spaghetti:
Here is the way I make baked spaghetti,

In large pot brown ground beef, when all the pink is gone, drain and put into bowl.
In the same pot add 1 whole jar of spaghetti sauce. In the same jar I add enough water to come to 3/4 up the jar. Add that to the sauce.
When sauce boils add spaghetti and cook till done.
Then add the cooked ground beef back into pot and let simmer a couple minutes so all the flavors marry up real good.
Pour into casserole dish and add shredded sharp chedder cheese (or your fav.) and then shredded mozzerella cheese.
Bake 350 for about 10-15 minutes or until cheese has melted.
If I'm not starving to death by this time, I'll put it on broil until the top is a little browned. This don't happen very often though cause I'm usually starving from the fragrance coming from the oven.
Take out and let set for as long as you can, for me it's usually 1 minute, long enough for me to get a bowl and dig in. I usually have homemade garlic toast too.
To freeze I will have to make two batches of this as it is usually wiped out in a matter of just a few minutes. I have 2 stocky men to feed ya know.

For the one to freeze, make it as normal just don't add the cheese.
The casserole dish will be lined with aluminum foil with extra for covering up.
Freeze for an hour or until frozen, take out of freezer and remove with aluminum foil, wrap with more foil and put into a freezer bag and back into the freezer. That way you still have your dish to use.
When you're ready to fix it to eat just put back into the same dish, add your cheeses and bake (after it defrostes) until cheeses are melted and is hot all through.
Time saver if you're in a pinch. Good if you're hungry. Yummy!!

No comments: